It’s Fun, It’s Free, and It’s a Really Good Idea
Okay, so maybe it isn’t that fun to test your security alarm. But be that as it may, it’s wise to be sure it is in working order, and to do so regularly. Here’s how it works:
- Notify Guardian Security at 277.1975 that you are checking your system. You will be asked for your PIN (Personal Identification Number).
- Locate and turn off the breaker that feeds electricity to the outlet powering the alarm system transformer. Verify the touchpad is still functional, indicating the battery back-up is working.
- Open and close each door and window that is tied to the alarm system. Have someone assist by watching the touchpad. It should display when each zone is opened. Some systems display an asterisk (*), and you must press the status button to display the actual zone.
- Arm and disarm the system from each touchpad.
- Check each panic button.
- Listen to the volume of your system. Is it adequate?
- Check to see if the strobe light functions, if applicable.
- Reset the system, disarming it.
- Check with Guardian at 277.1975 to ensure signals were received.
- Test each smoke detector. A can of testing smoke can be obtained through Guardian Security for a nominal fee. Ventilate the detector after activation and reset the alarm. note: The detector will not reset while smoke is present.
- Repeat step #6.
- The backup battery should have carried the system through this testing process with no issues. If the system detects that the battery is low, it should be replaced.
- Turn the breaker back on.
- Contact Guardian at 277.1975 and let them know you are done testing. Even if it isn’t fun, it is free, and it is a really good idea. Call our Central Station if you have any questions about testing your system.